|Budget, what budget?|
We have decided to list some of our variation costs to prevent those of you in the planning stage from having heart failure when you are doing your selections.
- rebate slab edge to recess bi-fold door frames $240
- off white colour mortar for brickwork $2400
- grey tinted glass to front elevation $325
- deadbolt lock for rear garage door $95
- upgrade front door handle add $145
- pedestal vanity with ceramic tile kicker add $66
- chrome pop up wastes to vanity basins $50
- chrome waste for bath $35
- towel rails $70
- toilet roll holder $50
- towel ring $55
- 2 Pac gloss for part kitchen $2015
- upgrade handles for drawers and cupboards $324
- metal kickboard $270
- duct rangehood externally $380
- 2 Pac for butlers pantry $1100
- upgrade handles $72
- upgrade to wide architrave $594
- external paint colour for cladding $165
- upgrade hot water system to 360L*** $825
Look closely at your house plans, they show you have a gas hot water system included in your build. However, what it doesn't tell you is that is is a tiny tiny tiny system (18L) that would only provide enough hot water for a house with one bathroom. So if you are building a bigger home this system is woefully inadequate and unless you want to be running out of hot water all the time you have to upgrade to a larger system. Now you would think that Metricon would be aware of this and would provide a suitablly sized hot water unit in your base price and it would then be your choice if you wanted a much bigger system or one that uses solar or a heat pump etc. But no you don't find this out until the colour selection appointment and then have to choose from the upgrade options adding yet another unexpected additional cost. Hmmm.
I hope that you potential home builders find this useful as you go through your planning stage as it is so easy to get swept away by the lovely displays and finishes on offer and then before you know it you've spent so much more than your budget can stretch to.
We found that some of the standard finishes were excellent whilst others were very cheap and plasticy or just didn't look that nice. It pays to go to Studio M as often as you can before your selection appointments that way you can ask lots of questions, take your time and be prepared. But even then Metricon will find a way to surprise you with the unexpected (like the hot water system).